What you’ll need
- Be at least 18 years old (we’ll ask for proof)
- A government-issued photo ID (we don’t accept passport cards)
- A computer or smartphone connected to the internet
- A phone number connected to your smartphone (we’ll send SMS text messages)
- The latest version of your browser (we recommend Chrome), or the latest Coinbase App version. If you’re using the Coinbase app, make sure your phone’s operating system is up-to-date.
Coinbase doesn’t charge a fee to create or maintain your Coinbase account. Learn about pricing and fees.
Note: We don’t recommend accessing Coinbase through a browser on your mobile device.
- Click or tap Get started.
- You’ll be asked for the following information. Important: Enter accurate, up-to-date information to avoid any issues.
- Legal full name (we’ll ask for proof)
- Email address (use one that you have access to)
- Password (write this down and store in a secure place)
- Your State (we’ll ask for proof)
- Check the box and click Create account (computer) or tap SIGN UP (mobile) if you agree.
- Coinbase will send you a verification email to your registered email address.
2. Verify your email
- Select Verify Email Address in the email you received from Coinbase.com. This email will be from firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Clicking the link in the email will take you back to Coinbase.com.
- You’ll need to sign back in using the email and password you recently entered to complete the email verification process.
3. Verify your phone number
- Sign in to Coinbase. You’ll be prompted to add a phone number.
- Select your country.
- Enter the mobile number.
- Click Send Code (computer) or tap Continue (mobile).
- Enter the seven-digit code Coinbase texted to your phone number on file.
- Click Submit or tap Continue.
If you did not receive the code, select Resend-SMS.
4. Add your personal information
- Enter the information shown on your valid government-issued photo ID—you’ll need to submit a photo of this ID later.
- First Name
- Last Name
- Date of Birth
- You’ll also need to answer the following questions:
- What do you use Coinbase for?
- What is your source of funds?
- Current Occupation
- Last 4 digits of SSN
- Select Continue to finish the process.
This completes the application process. To buy and sell supported crypto, and send and receive through Coinbase.com, you’ll need to next verify your identity and add a bank account.
Here is where you can now add your payment method. You can add your debit or credit card or you can link you bank to the account. Coinbase is a secure payment method that uses the most up to date encryption to keep your data secure.
7. Now you can send money with Coinbase!
Now that your Coinbase account is set up you can now send a payment. Click here to find out more!
Send cryptocurrency to another wallet on Coinbase?